With well-being on the rise, it is no wonder why journalists and nutritionists have gone wild over new food trends. Whilst nowadays it seems impossible to find a well stocked avocado shelf due to popular demand, could cherries be the next big thing? Cherries are a funny one, not a lot of people enjoy eating them due to the pip inside, but they absolutely love the taste of them. So with a claim that cherries are the powerhouses of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, fibres, and phytonutrients, could the pros of cherries outweigh the ‘pip’ negative? Well I’ll let you be the judge of that. Here are 8 reasons why cherries will spring clean your diet back into shape:
1. They are a good source of Vitamin C. A 150g portion provides 14mg Vitamin C, which is 35% of your daily requirement. Vitamin C is essential for your cells, tissues, and bones.
2. Eliminates oxidative stress and prevents premature ageing: Cherries contain two antioxidants (isoqueritrin and queritrin) which work to eliminate byproducts of stress. As a consequence, this slows down the ageing process.
3. Help to cure migraines: Cherries are a fantastic anti-inflammatory on the body, where the anthocyanin and bioflavonoids helps to eliminate migraine headaches. This is because the compounds inside the cherries have a similiar activity to ibuprofen and aspirin.
4. Reduce blood pressure: According to research, people who drank cherry juice concentrate experienced a 7% drop in blood pressure within 3 hours! This is due to the high concentration in anthocyanins and phenolic compounds which help to relax the blood vessels.
5. Helps to fight cancer and diseases: Cherries, along with other berries, are rich in antioxidants which help to prevent, or repair, the damage that is done to the body’s cells. Queritrin in cherries has been found to be one of the most potent anticancer agents, which helps to fight off all body’s cancerous cells. Cherries also contain ellagic acid, which some researchers say that may be the most effective way to prevent cancer. Another compound found in cherries is perillyl (POH), which is extremely powerful in reducing the occurrence of all types of cancers. Researchers also found that POH stops the growth of cancer cells by depriving them of the proteins that they need to grow. It has worked on every kind of cancer that POH has been tested against- amazing.
6. Eases arthritis and gout: As stated above, cherries are a great anti-inflammatories which help to block out actions of certain enzymes. According to studies, eating cherries may offer potential benefits for conditions such as gout, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, and sports injuries.
So how can you start introducing cherries into your diet? Alongside other seasonal berries, why not add cherries into your morning smoothie? You can find a great recipe in my latest Quick & Easy Berry Smoothie post.
What are your thoughts on cherries? Have I missed out a vital fact? Tweet me: @eltoria_
Eltoria- South West Beauty, Fashion and Lifestyle Blogger and South West YouTuber
Be sure to check out my recent YouTube videos (click here)
*this post may contain sponsored content